Top Reads of 2021

 Let's talk about my top 5 books of 2021 and why I think you should read them. 


5. 

A book on a love that is actualized

In 2020, I needed a hard reset. I think most of us can say that we needed a break from the harsh reality we faced every day. As an honoree mention, Toni Morrisons God Save the Child was one of my first fiction books I decided to dive into as I started my reading to escape/for pleasure escapade. Real Men Knit takes place in New York, where childhood friends come together after the death of an elder who was cherished in the community. This is a short read that gives you the sweet ending we all like to visit from time to time. 




4. 

A book that talks about an average black girl with a not so average expierence  

Okay this book was so good, and so fun to read! I listened to this on audible and the narrator was EVERYTHING. I honestly couldn't put it down. This book shows multiple parallels in our world. On one end, we have a mid 20's black woman who is trying to find her place in the world. She's a babysitter to a wealthy white suburban family and is okay with living her life just the way it is. On the other end, we have the family she works for and all that their personal history comes with as their two lives collide. This is a very realistic story and I heard there are works of it being made into a movie. 



3. 

A book that takes us through the heartbreaking of lineage of slavery, and life in America

Homegoing made me feel deep feelings. Every page, every chapter left me with feelings that felt sometimes too big for my vocabulary. This book sets place in Ghana and follows 2 lineages. One of a person who is sold into slavery and their lineage from the ship to America, and the second follows the lineage of a person who stayed in on their Native land. This book really had me stirred up and thinking about black pain, racist, slavery, black love, family, and betrayal. 


2.  

A book that pierces through the heart and offers healing

Alex Elle has been someone I looked up to as a writer for years now. Her vulnerability and transparency has been inspiring and admirable to say the least for me. So I finally got my hands on this book and it is everything I thought it would be. Each chapter is themed around a certain area of life with mediations and reflections for you to take the time to sit with. This book really opened my eyes to themes around healing and looking outside of ourselves for validation. Family and forgiveness, and what it means to tend to you and your needs. 



1. 

A book filled with short stories that will leave you wanting more


Coming in at my top book of the year, it has to be the Secret Life of Church Ladies. I am still thinking about the chapters Peach Cobbler and How to Make Love to A Physicist. This book has short stories about women who touch on topics like death, being in the closet, affairs, and broken homes. The way Deesha writes and story tells is addicting. Every short story is riveting and so deeply personal in an impersonal way but I'm sure many can relate to it. 



Happy Reading! Let me know if you read any of these books or have read any. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 months in

August Feels