Hair journey told by B



May 23, 2013 marks the day I did my big chop.  Being that it's only been two days since the big cut, I still can't believe that I actually cut my hair off.  I'm not sure if I feel the whole "liberated/I am a new woman" thing yet, but something inside of me feels proud because it has been long awaited.   I've started transitioning when I was 17, but lack of knowledge about hair care and my hair type resulted in a set back and a bad case of breakage, spit ends, and uneven hair.  Which resulted in a few more relaxers and hair cuts until I  finally got fed up with repeating the "beauty salon" cycle that I had been enslaved to since I was a little girl and received  my last full relaxer my senior year of High School. That was when I realized that my hair hated the creamy crack. I've always had a small attachment to my hair.  Desiring the straight, long hair that I so easily had but at some point in my young adult life, that was no longer a desire.  I began to look back at pictures when I was a child before my mom relaxed my hair and wondered why? How would by hair look  if  I stop getting relaxers? I mean they broke my hair off anyway and they can be dangerous to your health so why not? So i began transitioning and had no idea what I was doing all summer and first semester of my first year in College 2012.  My best friend (Dionna) was the one that introduced me to bantu knot outs, and a few Youtube videos relating to natural hair.   Bantu knots, senagelese twist, buns, and weaves became all I knew and were great protective styles. Yes, I got plenty of comlpiments and positive feedback about my hair and i loved my hair! But when I washed my hair, I still wasn't at the point where I wanted my hair to be... au naturel.  So that day came: Summer 2013 I stepped out of the shower with freshly washed hair and  I stared at my twa in the mirror with all of the remaining relaxed ends (Yes, I still had some after my haircut 2 months prior) and knew it was time.  It just wasn't cute.  I sat on Dionnas bed, squeaky clean and she had a pair of shears from her moms salon. and began clipping away.  In my mind, it's just hair.  Although I am a little concerned about how I'm going to style it with it being so short, I look in the mirror and kind of wonder, who is this girl? But so glad I finally did it.
My second cut, the rest of my bc

                                                                   
   



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Reads of 2021

2 months in

August Feels